Last Updated on April 30, 2023
Grab your notebook and pen and make your list before it’s time to pack. In the moments when we sit in comfortable armchairs in our offices and fantasize about the sun and the sand, it seems like all we need is a swimsuit and leave.
It often turns out that we need more things on the beach than we think.
Contents of your beach bag will depend on whether you go alone, with your kids or friends, and where that beach is. You may need a wrap and long sleeves on Cape Cod, not so Key West.
- A beach bag or backpack. A beach bag should be rubber or knit to avoid damage from moisture and sand. Beach bags are generally large enough to fit everything you need, but try avoiding packing them to the max. A backpack can be a good choice when you need to walk further distances.
- Swimsuit. A wet swimsuit and a light breeze in the shade can spoil your holiday. It’s always advisable to bring at least two swimsuits so you can keep a dry one on when not in the water. Consider what activities you’ll be participating in and in what company when thinking about the right style.
- Dress, headscarf or beach robe. These should generally be as thin and comfortable as possible, cotton is always a good choice. This can be of service to you if the weather changes abruptly or you need to go into any buildings which require cover ups.
- Beach Sandals. When it comes to beach sandals, it is always a good idea that they are comfortable and waterproof. If you are an adventurer and like to “get lost” on a wild beach, you will be lucky to have your comfortable slippers. Adventures of this type require sometimes very tricky trails that require safe footwear, also, depending on how much you like to hike and explore, choose slippers that will follow you well and that will not hurt you and spoil this adventure. If you simply love to rest on the beach and do not bother too much, it is enough to choose slippers that are water repellent and easy to clean.
- Beach towel(s). Make sure you pack one for everybody.
- Sun protection preparations. This is the most important item on our list. We all know how important and necessary sun protection is. Nothing ruins a trip like a sunburn. Always err on the side of caution with overapplying sunscreen, better yet, limit your exposure to the sun entirely. Seek shade. Don’t forget your hat and sunnies!
- Hat. When it comes to sun protection, with a nice hat you can be completely safe and look very attractive at the same time. It has almost no weight and will not burden you in any way.
- Sunglasses. Glasses are a must on the beach because the sea will make a strong glare and it can be very difficult for you to function without them.
- Money. When you go to the beach, bring only as much money as you plan to spend. Do not carry large amounts of money with you and constantly take care of it and make sure it is there. Keep your small wallet for the beach and keep only the basic documents and the amount of money you need.
- Literature and entertainment. A good novel may keep you entertained, but remember, books can be heavy and get wet.
- Water. Always keep some water with you in the summer to stay hydrated and withstand high temperatures. Do not carry large bottles, or single use plastic bottles, choose a reusable option to limit your waste.
- Phone and headphones. The phone is not accidentally in the last place of our list. Don’t go anywhere without your phone, but keep it in your bag, and inside a waterproof sealed bag inside your bag.
If you are going on vacation with your family and have children, your going to the beach will be a little more complicated.
- Protective factor creams, especially for children. They are always much stronger than those used by adults and are necessary. Baby skin is gentle and sensitive to the sun, limit exposure.
- Snacks. Whatever you bring, be sure to avoid to many individual bags, bottles and containers which could end up being blown away or float off and endanger the environment.
- Entertainment. If your kids are too young to enjoy the sunset with you, you’ll need something to do with beach toys to make their time complete. Don’t overdo it, a few plastic toys will make the sand the most beautiful playground.
- Dry clothes. With children, there is no compromise on a wet wardrobe. To keep your children dry and protected from any inflammation, keep a spare dry wardrobe.
And last but not least, your travel “pharmacy” can be important. If you do not have special needs for this, do not unnecessarily expose medicines and supplements to the sun. However, if you have certain therapies, sensitivities, preferences for injuries or allergies, you must go to the beach with a travel “pharmacy”.
Now that you’ve formed your beach list, all you have to do is pack up and head off on your well-deserved vacation.